Poets and artists published in Spectrum Online Edition: Open Window are invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, November 19th between 3 and 5 pm PDT.

Thursday, November 10, 2022

Kimberly Cobian

The Fishbowl Goodbye

 

You held your tear-stained tissue

In a tight fist

As if it were your heart you had

Squeezed out the pain from

We’ve said goodbye millions of times in my lifetime

But never like this.

 

Leaving your warmth behind

At the Security Check  

With all the clocks’ faces from around the world watching,

The umbrella in my dry palm

Awaiting the imminent torrent 

My dad’s smile a dike of pain

I could tell his dimples were faltering.

My eyes, levees crushing under pressure

Yet only a tear like tree sap

Deliberating, growing, remained indecisive

Unreleased in suspension.

 

We were separated by a wall of bulletproof glass.

I swam with the other fishes

Of children, mothers, fathers

Drowning in the shared memories 

before they are past.

 

You and Dad walk closer up to the glass

Tap it to get my attention.

You place your whole hand on the glass

I, longing to touch you like moments ago

Reciprocate 

‘Mija,’ you supplicate, 

“Por favor cuídate mucho. 

Que Dios siempre te cuide, y espero vernos pronto.

Te amo. Eres un pedazo de mi alma.”*

 

You prayed these words to me as you forgave me 

For being a fish out of water, 

You knew deep in your heart 

That I was no longer and that I now swim 

In a new ocean of my goals.

Despite all the times 

You recaught me in your net of parental love

I found a way to butterfly stroke 

Out of your world,

Out of your home,

Out of your control.

Till then, you did not realize 

What harm you were doing to me.

 

I don’t want you to forgive me

But accept who I am today, 

And what I will accomplish in the future,

That is the best gift you can give me,

Consider this my prayer for you.

 

You and Dad wave and blow kisses 

Goodbye from the escalator 

Soon to return to your vessel

Leaving me in my open sea 

Wishing, for a moment

My fins transformed to wings.  

 

“My daughter”, you supplicate,


“Please, take care of yourself”


May God always take care of you, and I hope we see each other soon


I love you. You are a piece of my soul.”*


No comments:

Post a Comment

R A Ruadh

Cold sleep winter solstice moon waxes poetic with tales of snug tight windows there are few birds now coyote songs sift through the double g...